Do you have a video interview coming up? Slack? Skype? Zoom? FaceTime? Oh, joy.
Have you noticed you look worse in video chats than you do in real life? Way worse? Sorry. So do I.
It’s the evil HD cameras in our phones and other devices. They’re brutal.
Jane Jetson Had a Brilliant Fix
Jane Jetson experienced this problem in 1962 and had a brilliant solution:
I don’t know why, but Google is putting its development dollars into Glass (still, 2016; they haven’t given up yet, 2017) while missing the market for the Jane Jetson mask.
How to Look Your Best in a Video Interview
What are you supposed to do until Google catches on?
- Set everything up as described in the infographic below.
- Experiment to find the most flattering camera level.
- Smooth on some painfully expensive HD makeup from Sephora (not an affiliate.)
- Get dressed as you would for an in-person interview.
- Do a dry run and have it critiqued by someone not too encumbered by tact.
- Make tweaks until you feel handsome/beautiful/etc.
Get the Makeup
Updated June 2017
© 2014 – 2019, Donna Svei. All rights reserved.
Donna Svei, an executive resume writer and former C-level executive, retained search consultant, and CPA, writes all of AvidCareerist’s posts. She has written for and been quoted by leading business, general, and career media outlets, including Forbes, Mashable, Fast Company, Entrepreneur, Lifehacker, Ask.com, Social Media Today, IT World, SmartBrief, Payscale, Business News Daily, and the Muse. Let her background and experience inform your job search strategy and decision making.