I’ve introduced a new series, Donna Svei Reviews, to assess job search tools. This post describes my favorite job search metric. What gets measured gets managed.
The Best Job Search Metric — Number of Interviews
When I worked in contingent fee search, I charted the number of candidate “send outs” to hiring managers I achieved each week. I accurately predicted my placements and income with that single metric.
How many times will you send yourself out on interviews this week? How many meetings have you scheduled with recruiters and hiring managers? If the answer is “zero,” don’t expect any job offers.
Be a geek. Track and chart the number of times you meet with recruiters and hiring managers each week.
At a more granular level, check each of your job search activities for its connection to getting you in front of recruiters and hiring manager. Your time is a resource constraint. Direct it to activities that will win you interviews — the biggest condition precedent to getting job offers.
Keep Your Performance Metric Top of Mind
One of my resume clients had a sign taped above his computer when he was looking for a job. It read, “Is What I’m Doing Right Now Directly Connected to Getting Me an Interview?” Or something close to that. I don’t know. I didn’t see the sign. He told me about it. I loved it!
- Quantify a goal for the number of interviews you want every week, two weeks, or month.
- Chart your number of meetings each week. Print the chart and tape it up where you’ll see it.
- Move it once a day so it doesn’t become part of your landscape.
- Visualize success by printing a picture of a “job seeker” meeting with an “interviewer.” Tape it up too.
- Program your calendar to ping you throughout the day to “take an action that will get me an interview.”
- Join a job club that will hold you accountable to your goal (more here).
Why Bother with Performance Metrics in Your Job Search?
There’s research that shows that goal setting increases job search success.
Donna Svei Reviews Top Job Search Metric — Rating
I give tracking the number of interviews you get a five-star rating in the job search metrics category.
See how my clients review me here.
Featured by SmartBrief
Updated October 2018
© 2015 – 2019, Donna Svei. All rights reserved.Follow AvidCareerist & Subscribe: